Education in Blaenau Gwent
Blaenau Gwent’s Education Directorate has made huge progress in recent years. Candidates will be aware that Estyn judged our provision to have significantly improved in 2015, and we have continued to build on that firm foundation over the subsequent five years. A current snapshot of the service can be downloaded here.
Our Corporate aims for Education are to:
- Improve pupil outcomes, progress and wellbeing, particularly for our more able and our most vulnerable learners
- Improve the quality of our education services and our school buildings to help learners achieve great outcomes
- Continue to support our school leaders to help our pupils achieve their ambitions
We are part of the South East Wales Education Achievement Service, a regional education improvement consortium which supports and challenges schools in South East Wales to strive for excellence. Alongside Blaenau Gwent, the EAS works with Caerphilly, Monmouthshire, Newport and Torfaen councils to improve education and enhance front line services. This is a crucial partnership for us.
The 21st Century Schools and Education Capital Programme is a major scheme of work across Wales, which plans the long-term and strategic capital investments needed to create educational communities which are fit for purpose. It is focused on providing the right schools in the right places, for children and young people from early years through to post-16. Funding for the projects is 50:50 between the Council and the Welsh Government. The aim of the funding is to deliver:
- Learning environments in Wales that will enable the successful implementation of strategies for improvement and better educational outcomes
- Greater economy and efficiency for learning environments through better use of resources
- A sustainable education system in Wales that meets national building standards and reduces the recurrent costs and carbon footprint of education buildings.
- Our Education Transformation Team delivers the locally agreed programme, which includes the Tredegar Comprehensive School remodeling project, new builds for Six Bells Primary School and Abertillery Primary School, and remodelling for Ystruth Primary and Welsh Medium Primary School.
Services that are traded to schools include catering, cleaning and OD. These traded services (along with school transport) are overseen by other Directorates, and there is a close working relationship with the relevant Directors to ensure the highest level of service is available, at a cost that represents excellent value to schools.